Monday, December 29, 2008

starting a young horse part 4


While I don't claim to know all there is to know about round pen techniques, I do want to share with you an experience I had with doing round pen work.

We had a man drive into our farm with a trailer and on it was a beautiful black and white spotted stallion. This stallion had been raised to the age of 3 years without ever being touched by a human. The man had herded the horse into a stall, backed the trailer up to the stall and made the horse jump into the trailer, and then brought it to our farm.

We had the man back the trailer up to our round pen and unload the horse. For awhile I just stood and observed the stallion and thought, "what did I get myself into". I had wanted to start a horse with this type of back ground just to see how far I could get with him, but this seemed to be a huge project. The horse did not seem to be afraid of me, and being a stallion I did not expect him to be, so this was a plus on my part, but being a stallion I knew I would not have the attention span I was hoping to get from him either. I had to meet him in the middle and at least be able to obtain his respect, by giving him mine. How was I going to go about doing this?

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for morrisdrake